Monday, February 22, 2010

Vancouver 2010 Olympics - Pride of Canadians Everywhere

       The Vancouver 2010 Olympics have truly been amazing; a once in a lifetime experience. I feel that I can speak for all Canadians in the fact that the Olympics truly make us proud to say we are a part of this magnificent country, Canada. On the night of the opening ceremony, I was watching it at home while discussing it with my friend. Though we both agreed that it was nowhere near as extravagant or exorbitant as the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the modesty and simplicity of Vancouver’s opening ceremony filled me with pride. Frankly, I didn’t even bother finishing the Beijing opening ceremony, because of how long and deliberate everything seemed to be. Canada didn’t need any special embellishments or trimmings; our awesomeness spoke for itself.

       I was walking towards the cauldron when it was announced that Canadian freestyle skier, Alexandre Bilodeau, had won the first gold medal on Canadian soil. The already boisterous crowd instantly went ecstatic as I saw a sea of Canadian flags rise up and blow in the wind. Heck, even I, a person who never really much cared for sports, felt a warming pride inside of me. I proud to be able to call myself a Canadian, proud to be living in this wonderful country I call home. Sure, we’re not getting first place right now, but I’m sure that in every Canadian’s heart, our Canadian athletes will always be number one. Each and every event, even those who are not rooting out loud are silently supporting our athletes. Canadians take pride in having great sportsmanship, and giving each and every game their best. Winning is not important. It is how the game is played.

3 comments:

Evie said...

I think that it's very interesting how you told the reader your epitomizing word italics! It's very creative rather than out right stating it. I also liked the use of humour with words that are informal like "awesomeness" and "Heck". I agree with you as I say I too feel the warm pride in our country.

Joanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanne said...

I personally loved the opening of the Beijing Olympics for the creativity and the growth of the country that was demonstrated. However, I loved the simplicity of the opening for the Vancouver Winter Olympics just as much, if not more. I felt that the simplicity of the ceremony in comparison to the Beijing opening embraced and emanated the escesee of being a Canadian. We as a country didn't need the billion dollars of funding, just the cheers of our country. The pride that seems to fill all our hearts is undoubtable, and I absolutely can relate when you say that you feel prideful of being Canadian, to be able to call such a country our home. Although we are behind in the medal rankings, I agree that it doesn't matter whether we win or not, but the efforts our athletes put into representing their country.

With that, Canada just won another medal!
The "awesomeness" of Canadians is just amazing : )

Post a Comment